Language Personality of a Political Leader: a General Approach
The article considers the phenomenon of the linguistic personality of a political leader. Attention is paid to the prospects of a comprehensive approach to the study of
linguistic personality of a politician in political discourse, which, as a kind of persuasive discourse, is widespread, and which significantly affects the social consciousness, which
exerts linguistic influence on the addressee through manipulative power to make cognitive alterations to the world view.
The special author’s contribution to development of the investigated question consists in an attempt to, first of all, classify works on the mentioned problem, basing on the object of
the research; secondly, to form such a theoretical basis that will allow me to study the linguistic personality of a particular politician as a variant and as a specific elements
combination of different levels of this type of linguistic personality, i.e. as a complex consisting of cognitive, verbal, pragmatic systems of a particular politician; thirdly, to prove
that a politician acts as a cognitive-linguistic subject of his own and institutional discourse, where "I – individual" and "I – social" are correlated with "politician – a unique linguistic
personality" and "politician – a representative of a particular social institution". This determines the particularities of the linguistic behavior of the politician, enshrined in the
texts created by him/her; the choice of language strategies and tactics, which depends on both: specific communicative situation and personality type of the political leader, his beliefs
and stands on a particular matter.
The application of the cognitive model of political discourse, which includes the characteristics of a political figure as a linguistic personality and the characteristics of speaker’s cognitive-linguistic strategies, allowed to approach some aspects of the linguistic personality manifestation in political discourse.
The research of a set of abilities and characteristics which influence political leader’s creation and perception of linguistic works, that differ by the degree of complexity, depth and
accuracy of reality reflection, a certain target orientation and the research of perception and generation of speech processes, considered in their interrelation, allowed me to characterize the political leader as a linguistic personality.
2. Gulej, M. D. «Strategії perekonannja u francuz'komu ul'trapravomu diskursі [Persuasion strategies in the French ultra-right discourse].» Problemi semantiki, pragmatiki ta kognіtivnoї lіngvіstiki [Problems of semantics, pragmatics and cognitive linguistics] 36 (2019): 144-156.
3. Karasik, V. I. Jazykovoj krug: lichnost', koncepty, diskurs [Language circle: personality, concepts, discourse]. (Volgograd, Peremena, 2002), 477.
4. Karaulov, Ju. N. Russkij jazyk i jazykovaja lichnost' [Russian language and linguistic personality]. (Moskva, Izdatel'stvo LKI, 2010), 264.
5. Krasil'nikova, E. V. «Russkaja jazykovaja lichnost' i zadachi ee izuchenija [Russian linguistic personality and the tasks of its study].» Jazyk i lichnost' (Moskva, Nauka, 1987), 267.
6. Mironova, N. V. «Movnij і kul'turnij kod: їh vzaєmodіja v lіngvokul'turnomu prostorі [Language and cultural codes: their interaction in linguo-cultural space].» Problemi
semantiki, pragmatiki ta kognіtivnoї lіngvіstiki [Problems of semantics, pragmatics and cognitive linguistics] 36 (2019): 180-193.
7. Nikiforova, M. V. «Jazykovaja lichnost' politicheskogo dejatelja: podhody k rechevomu portretirovaniju [Language personality of a political figure: approaches to
speech portraits making].» Jazykovoe obrazovanie segodnja – vektory razvitija : materialy V mezhdunarodnoj nauchno-prakticheskoj konferencii-foruma (2014): 186-200.
8. Plotnikova, S. N. «Politik kak konstruktor diskursa reagirovanija [The politician as a constructor of the reaction discourse].» Politicheskij diskurs v Rossii: Materialy postojanno dejstvujushhego seminara (2005): 22-26.
9. Sarna, A. Ja. Diskurs-analiz: gumanitarnaja jenciklopedija [Discourse Analysis: Humanitarian Encyclopedia] (Centr gumanitarnyh tehnologij, 2002–2018), http://gtmarket.ru/concepts/7232
10. Tolmacheva, T. A. «Teorija jazykovoj lichnosti i process obuchenija mezhkul'turnoj kommunikacii [The theory of linguistic personality and the process of teaching intercultural communication].» Vestnik molodyh uchenyh 1 (2004): 35-48.