Sense Structure of Modal Units “Probabilmente” (“Probabile”, “Probabilità”) (in the Italian Language)
The article focuses on appropriateness’s of quantifying of information in microtext of functioning of modal units “probabilmente” (“probabile”, “probabilità”) in the Italian language. Modal units probabilmente” (“probabile”, “probabilità”) determine quantifying of information in microtext beeing nucleus and forming modal structures together with joined
components. The modal structure is formed by joined components in according to the regularity rules in the pre-nuclear zone (components combined with modal units probabilmente” (“probabile”, “probabilità”) and the near-peripheral zone (components used in the modal sentence with these modal units or in adjacent sentences). The modal units “probabilmente” (“probabile”, “probabilità”) beeing prototypes of the modal meaning of epistemic probability serves as marker of modal evaluation of probability by epistemic vector based on precedent or background knowledge. The sense structure of “probabilmente” (“probabile”, “probabilità”) spread in microtext reflects measuring approach to reality made by subject of modal evaluation. In their pre-nuclear zone are used quantors, approximators, existential predicate, verbs of action semantics “avvenire”, “accadere”, “succedere”, causative connectors. The near periphery zone is characterized by sense relations of associativeness and causality between parts of modal annunciation. In their near periphery zone are used causative connectors of consequence “perché”, “poiché” and mental predicates of point of view “credere”, “supporre”. Verbs of action semantics “avvenire”, “accadere”, “succedere”, “provare”, “argumentare” are combined with verbs of processual mental activity “spiegare”, “capire”. Such parameters of microtext as spread of perceptive, emotive, volitive, evaluative vectors are not determined because there is no explicit contradiction between situational information and precedent or background knowledge of the subject of modal evaluation. The modal units “poco probabile” (“poco probabilmente”, “poca probabilità”) are markers of diminishing of grade of probability by epistemic, volitive and evaluative vector; microtext usually verbalizes partial contradiction between subjective idea and real situation. The using of quantor “poco” in their pre-nuclear zone that determines low grade of epistemic probability make these modal units to be modal structures and causes parameters of microtext to be more determined in comparison with prototypical modal units. In such
case volitive and evaluative vectors of microtext are often verbalized and contain binary causal antonymic structures. In the near periphery zone are used lexical units meaning
incapacity, fallacy of proofs, unsuccess, uncontrollability, negative evaluation. The modal units “molto probabile” (“molto probabilmente”, “moltа probabilità”) are markers of increasing of grade of probability by epistemic, volitive and evaluative vector; microtext usually verbalizes concordance between subjective idea and real situation. The using of quantor “molto” in their pre-nuclear zone that determines high grade of epistemic probability make these modal units to be modal structures. In such case volitive and evaluative vectors of microtext are often verbalized and contain binary causal complemental structures including information about proofs of modal evaluation of the point of view of probability. In their near periphery zone are used verbs of choose (“scegliere”, “optare”, “preferire”) often in Conditional Mood, lexical units meaning effectiveness and positive evaluation. The volitive vector of microtext beeing verbalized contains information about capability, effectiveness, advisability. The evaluative vector of microtext beeing verbalized contains lexical units of positive evaluation and Conditional Mood. The annunciations with modal units containing high degree of probability express epistemic state of the subject of modal evaluation that approaches to knowledge. The hypothesis introduced in such annunciation has tendency to be proved and is based not on a precedent or background knowledge but on a system of values.
2. Bulygina, T. V., Shmelev, A. D. Jazykovaya kontseptualizatsija mira (na materiale russkoj grammatiki) [Language conceptualization of the world (in Russian grammar material)] (Moscow, 1997, 576) (In Russian).
3. Kolesnikova, S. M. Funktsional’no-semanticheskaja kategorija gradual’nosti v sovremennom russkom jazyke [Functional-semantic category of graduality in contemporary Russian] (Moscow, 2010), 279.
4. Okhrimenko, V. I. Ontologija ta gnoseologija kategoriji modal’nosti v italijs’kij movi. Dokt, Diss [Ontology and gnoseology of the category of modality in Italian. Dokt, Diss] (Kyiv, 2012), 612.
5. Perevervez, K. A. «Prostranstva, situatsiji, sobytija, miry: k probleme lingvisticheskoj ontologii [Spaces, situations, events, worlds: towards a problem of linguistics ontology].» Logicheskij analiz jazyka. Jazyki prostranstv [Logical analyses of language. Spaces languages] (Moscow, 2000): 255-267.
6. Tsimmerling, A. «Eticheskije contcepty i semanticheskije polia [Ethics concepts and semantic fields].» Logicheskij analiz jazyka. Jazyki etiki [Logical analyses of language. Ethics languages] (Moscow, 2000): 190-199 (In Russian).
7. Il Dizionario della lingua italiana, 2-a ediz., Giacomo Devoto, Gian Carlo Oli (Firenze, Le Monnier, 2000-2001), 2390.
8. McGlone, M. S., Reed, A. B. «Anchoring in the interpretation of probability expressions.» Journal of Pragmatics 30 (Amsterdam, Elsevier, 1998): 723-733.
9. Vaidya, A. J., Wallner, M. «The epistemology of modality and the problem of modal friction.» New directions in the Epistemology of Modality (USA, 2018), https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11229-018-1860-2#auth-Michael-Wallner (accessed 5.01.2021).
10. Ohrimenko, V. I. «Smyslova struktura modal'nyh odynyc' “sapere” ta “essere capace di” (na materiali italijs'koi' movy).» Problemy semantyky, pragmatyky ta kognityvnoi'
lingvistyky 35 (2019): 164-177.
11. Capuana, L. Serena: Tratto da: “Serena: commedia in tre atti” di Luigi Capuana (Catania: Società di storia patria per la Sicilia orientale, 1973), http://www.lieberlieber.it/biblioteca/c/capuana/sere na/pdf/serena_p.pdf (accessed 27.01.2021).
12. Deledda, G. L’Edera (Milano, Mondadori, 1950), 219.
13. Eco, U. Il nome della Rosa (Milano, Tascabili Bompianti, 2006), 539.
14. Fogazzaro, A. Piccolo mondo antico (Milano, Mondadori, 1986), 410.
15. Moravia, A. Racconti romani (Milano, Bompiani, 1986), 183.
16. Schiavini, L. Senso unico: Tratto da: “Senso unico” di Laura Schiavini (Varese: ECO, 1997), http://www.lieberlieber.it/biblioteca/s/schiavini/ senso_unico/pdf/senso_p.pdf
17. Tamaro, S. Va’ dove ti porta il cuore (Milano, Baldini & Castoldi, 1994), 165.
18. L’Espresso: settimanale di politica, cultura, economia 17 (1.05.2008), 202.